I found out yesterday that the church I belong to voted on whether it would allow blessing of same-sex unions. The powers that be said no. I am quite disappointed. The story can be found here. More info can be found here. I am proud to say that the priest in my church was for the blessing of gay unions and wanted the vote to go the other way. I can feel comfortable going to my own church and continue to teach Sunday School in a place where I feel like my own beliefs are being supported.
I truly believe that no harm will come to my religion and to humanity if people are allowed to love whomever they want, marry whomever they want and raise children with those people they love and marry. I am a Christian, I believe in God and that Jesus Christ died for my sins. I do not believe that homosexuality is one of those sins. I believe it is a sin and far from Christian that people will judge and condemn other people for living their most authentic life and being true to themselves and their feelings.
I also think, just for practical reasons that gay people who choose to spend their lives together as a family should have all of the same rights as straight people who choose to live their lives together as a family--I mean boring things like being able to file tax returns and sign medical consent forms and permission slips for school trips. What is so wrong with that???
I am borrowing this list from blogger Toni. I really liked what she had to say about this issue. I am not sure this will open the can of worms that my previous stance on pole dancing opened, but hey, this is my blog and I will say what I want to!!
10 Reasons Why Gay Marriage is Wrong
1) Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things like eyeglasses, polyester, and air conditioning.
2) Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.
3) Gay marriage will change the foundation of society; we could never adapt to new social norms. Just like we haven't adapted to cars, the service-sector economy, or longer life spans.
4) Straight marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are still property, blacks still can't marry whites, and divorce is still illegal.
5) Straight marriage would be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Brittany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
6) Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.
7) Obviously gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.
Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.
9) Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why we as a society expressly forbid single parents to raise children.
10) Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.
What do you think?