Monday, August 8, 2011

Off the grid.

The kids are off on adventures with their Grandparents and Aunties and Uncle right now.  A few days ago, Richard and I packed a few things, and then hopped in the car to join them.

I had never been to the cabin where they stay every summer.  In fact, I had never been as far north as this cabin, ever.  I got a real feel for how big my province really is.  Usually, when we travel we go horizontally, along the more populated areas along the Canada/US border.  If you drive 8-9 hours in either direction you are sure to pass over one provincial border.  If you drive that far South, you will pass an international border and probably more than one State line.  If you drive that far North you get to see three very distinct geographical areas emerge, and you can really appreciate the diversity that is on your back doorstep.

We drove over some mighty rivers.  We passed by huge hydro towers that seemed to play cat's cradle with the treetops.  Hydro electric power is a major export of ours.  Those massive towers are probably funneling kilowatts to outlets that are allowing some of my American readers to look at these pictures.

Once we got to the cabin we really were off the grid.  My cellphone coverage stopped about halfway there, and the cabin is only accessible by boat.  There is no running water and taking a bath is really going swimming in the lake with soap.  I loved snuggling down in my tent at night with the wind blowing through the trees and the waves lapping up on the shore to  lull me to sleep.  (We had to sleep in a tent because the cabin was full)
The kids have a ball, riding on the sea-doo with cousins, running barefoot around the island with the neighbour's kids, roasting marshmallows on the beach,  fishing off the dock--this is the stuff memories are made of.  I can't wait to go back next year.
Our trip started out on the bald-headed Prairie.

The trees get shorter and scrubbier the further North you go.  The deciduous trees get harder and harder to spot.

The land gets so rugged that rock had to be blasted away to build the road.

Amusing bathroom grafitti at a rest stop.  


At another rest stop, just off the side of the road, we found this. 

The view from the beach at the cabin.  So peaceful.





4 comments:

Sandy said...

Wow! I have never been that far up north and your pics really make me want to go! Thanks for sharing! Looks like an ideal holiday! Isn't it so cool that we have this amazing peace and serenity right here in our own province?!

Carolyn said...

Oh wow, you've taken the trip I've always wanted! I'm so jealous!

tammi said...

Those falls look somewhat familiar... are they the same ones my family went to earlier this year? Man, and WE thought it was a long drive ~ I can't imagine how long you guys were on the road!! Glad you had a great time.

Farmer Jo said...

That looks beautiful!