Sunday, October 26, 2008

Menu Plan Monday


I try to plan menus every week to maximize our grocery spending and minimize food waste. This is the first time I will be participating in Menu Plan Monday hosted over at I'm an Organizing Junkie.
If you are visiting from that site, then Hello! Nice to meet you! I hope you like what you see. If you are a regular visitor over here, then Hello! Nice to see you again!

A few notes about menu planning, Knitwit style:
  • Monday's are busy here with dance class dangerously close to dinner time. You will usually find a casserole that I can make at lunchtime or something bubbling in my crock pot on that day. (Um, except for this week, it seems.)
  • I usually only plan to cook five meals in a week as we get respite care one evening a week so I don't cook that day. (Well, does reheating chicken nuggets in the oven count as cooking?) I also plan to eat leftovers at least one night a week.
  • If you want a recipe that I don't provide a link for, let me know and I can email you.
  • Grocery shopping was done on Sunday, so Menu Plan Monday actually started a day early here!
  • Emmett and Charlotte visit with my Mother in Law most Fridays so you usually find a meal that the kids normally wouldn't eat on that day.

Sunday: Hot Pizza Dip with pita chips. Baked rice pudding for dessert.
Edited to add--if you try the rice pudding grease your pan very, very well or use a silicone liner. I think I may have to soak my dish overnight to loosen the baked on sugary milk bonded to the sides of it.

Monday: Creamy carrot soup, Tuna Melts, carrot sticks and hummus or ranch dressing to dip.

Tuesday: Crock pot roasted chicken, steamed frozen vegetables.

Wednesday: Chicken salad panini.

Thursday: Respite night.

Friday: Shrimp pomodoro pasta.

Saturday: Lasagna. (I haven't decided if this will be lazy skillet style, crock pot, or traditional.)

2 comments:

kitten said...

Sounds like a great menu! I shop either Friday after noon or Saturday afternoon. I plan 7 day weeks. At the 1st of the month I buy up extra meat and veggies to help stretch out when at the end of the month gets short.
With me taking care of momma, I have got where I fix more casseroles than I use to.
Thanks for sharing.
I may have to try some of your meals!

Sandy said...

Wow, sounds like a great idea. You ran this by my hubby one day at pick-up cuz he came home and told me that we should try the menu idea. My kids love casseroles and the crock pot is my best friend! Maybe I'll start this on my blog too!