Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Name Game

I am a couple weeks away from the halfway point of my pregnancy (whoa, time flies!) I just got my super-awesome baby name book back from Manitoba Farm Girl (Hiya, Hon!).

Here are the rules:
  • The Name must be easily yelled across a playground.
  • If naming a girl the name must easily grow up with the girl, being neither too stogy and dusty nor too juvenile sounding. Sorry, Tiffany, Brittany and Judith
  • If naming a girl the name must not end in a vowel sound, so says the father of the baby. (He thinks that makes the name sound weak) Bye bye Haylie, Nora and Samantha. Samantha also gets demoted because it can easily be identified as a character on Sex and the City. (Don't tell Richard that Charlotte was my favourite character on that show, please--he'll get all cranky.)
  • Preferably, the Name should not be on any "Most Popular Name" list for the past few years. (See Rule #1.)
  • The middle Name must be a family name.
  • If the middle Name begins with a vowel, the initials of the name should not spell a word that could be used as a playground taunt. (Juliet Elizabeth, you were in the top running until we figured that rule out.)
  • The name gets bonus points if it was once the name of a King or Queen (so says the father of the baby, a history major in University.)
  • Obviously, names of exes, cranky co-workers, clients or patients are off the table.
Let the discussion begin.

Oh, Grandma, if you are reading this, email me with a list of the middle names of you, Grandpa, and Grandma and Grandpa C, please!! (If you figure out the comments section you could just leave them there too!)

5 comments:

April said...

I'd just like to say that those are a lot of rules. lol. Wow, good luck!!! Funny that I had a long dream last night about not being able to name our next baby (which shouldn't be on the way for quite a while yet!)...maybe it was really for you! ha. ♥

Robyn said...

Hmm- Queen names- Eleanor (Elena, Leonor), Isabelle (Isabella, Isabeau), Marguerite (Margaret), Catherine, Elizabeth, Caroline, Adelaide (Adele), Louise, Yolande, Mariam, Natalia, Bianca, Irene, Beatrice, Alexandrine, Helen, Ingrid,... ok I'll stop now

I know some break the rules, but it was fun looking at Queen's names.

Unknown said...

robyn--you actually hit on a few of our frontrunners for names! I think Queen trumps vowel sound to hubby.

Ami said...

I'm no help on picking out names. But just to make you laugh/smile/scratch your head, here's my favorite baby name website: www.notwithoutmyhandbag.com/babynames/

Bobbi said...

Okay I'm a little late to the name game :) I loved picking names and ended up with quite a list before each babe.

Here's quite a nice site that might help: http://www.behindthename.com/

Here are a few off my list :D

Girls:
Liane
Bronwyn
Edythe (Edie (eee-dee) for short)
Dorean
Simone

Boys:
Nigel
Kristopfer
Baxter
Piers
Lukas

Good luck with the name game!