Wednesday, March 24, 2010

I'm a believer.

Today is day nine of Charlotte's new dairy-free life. We are now in this for the long haul.

By day three of her new diet she was sleeping an extra 1/2 hour a night, and going to bed with much less fuss. By the end of the week I noticed her moods smoothing out. She is still a firecracker. She is still bossy and opinionated, but her tantrums are shorter. She is listening better and responding better.

I like her again, and I know that MY change in energy around her is making even more positive impact on our relationship.

What really clinched it for me was what happened to us yesterday. She got Emmett's chocolate milk at breakfast instead of her own chocolate (rice) milk. Last night she was up again, wandering the halls. She had a meltdown at playgroup this morning.

I am so thankful for the help and support I am getting, and for this book: (click on the photo for an Amazon link)


My good friend (and fellow blogger) Carolyn loaned it to me. I immediately ordered a copy for myself. She has been so helpful in helping us make this transition. It is always great to have an ally in your corner who speaks the GFCF language and already knows the ropes.

Making a diet change on a hunch is not an easy undertaking. It feels so overwhelming at the start and I have heard close friends of mine say "Oh, I am having the same troubles but I could NEVER do that. It sounds too hard."

I thought that too. I waited a very long time before I worked up the gumption to do this. I can't look back now. The book was a huge help. The first few chapters outline WHY this diet can be helpful and gives concrete instructions on how to execute the changes. It shows you what exactly your child can eat when you think there isn't anything. The recipes are for kids and some take into consideration texture and sensory issues that seem to come along with an Autism diagnosis.

Charlotte has not been diagnosed with Autsim or ADHD, but these seem to be the books that have the information that I need--sometimes you have to open your mind and see past labels to get the help you need.

My new challenge will be to find rice ice cream in our little city. I am trying very hard to look for non-soy dairy alternatives as I don't want to substitute one problem for another potential one, and soy comes with it's own set of risks. I am going to wait a bit and try a cheese trial as there is no casein-free alternative that is acceptable. Did you know that even soy cheese has milk in it??

We are having really good results with just eliminating dairy, so I am not going gung ho with gluten, but I am trying to find lower-GI (glycemic index) foods that will help stabilize her blood sugar and prevent highs and crashes.

I am so happy to have my girl back!!!!

5 comments:

Carolyn said...

***thumbs up****

I think I've seen the Rice Ice Cream at the Health Food Store (ironic, right?). Either way, I'm in the Big City often enough shlepping stuff back that I can pick up for you there.

Isn't it nice to actually like your own kid again???

Anonymous said...

Good for you for giving it a go. I must recommend coconut milk ice cream - we have some awesome stuff at our local health food store.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm *so* happy to read this, Jen! Wonderful news.

Ami said...

Okay, that is really exciting news!

I have never researched and implemented such a sweeping change in our lives.. although it would probably do me a lot of good if I cut some of the crap out of all our diets.

Keep us posted. It sounds amazing.

tammi said...

I am constantly in awe of women who have to completely overhaul the way they cook and grocery shop to meet certain dietary needs in their families. And when that change is somewhat voluntary, it's even more impressive. You are a brave woman and such a great mom!!

I am SO glad this is working for you and your little girl is back to her old self!! When one family member is out-of-sorts, it just seems to throw everyone off.