Monday, February 8, 2010

My life in shoes.

Rina at Gotta Little Space was inspired by her bloggy friends to peek into her closet and look at her life in shoes. She asked if she had too many. I laughed. Her shoes all fit into ONE photograph!

She inspired me to look into my own closet(s). In the knitting world this is called flashing your stash, and can be a very enlightening exercise in looking at your own consumer habits.

Once upon a time, my own shoe collection could fit in a single photograph. That was back in the days before I had children. You see, when a woman gets pregnant her feet often change size, and they stay that way permanently. Before I had kids my feet were so narrow I could only fit specialty sizes. I was 9-1/2 AAA. Big, long, narrow. That meant I never spent less than $100 for a pair of shoes. Three kids later my feet have widened and shortened into a more normal 8 1/2 A. The world of shoes suddenly opened up to me!

This is going to be embarrassing, but here goes......
I am not explaining every single pair, I will just give the highlights or we will be here all day!

Photo 1: Flats. These are the shoes I reach for almost daily. Ballet flats look so cute with jeans or skirts and are easy to chase the kids in. The leopard ones are my most recent purchase, and still have the tags attached. I need to retire the mary jane style clodhoppers. They are so comfy, but also so very ugly!! The green Keds are also nearing the end of their lifespan.

Photo 2: Sandals. Most are flats, the two on the bottom right have heels, but are still surprisngly comfortable. The Mephisto sandals on the top row are actually my second pair. I wore the first pair into the ground. If I want to feel like a yummy mummy in the grocery store I'll wear the cork platforms on the bottom right with my jeans or a denim skirt.

Photo 3: Boots. The brown ones on the bottom left were bought at a shoe party(I know! They have shoe parties!! Somebody hide my credit card!!). They are SO sexy and look amazing with jeans. I can walk about a block in them before my sexy hip sway turns into a sexy limp. The tall ones on the other end of the step are emu boots and lined with sheep fleece. They are so amazing for walking E to school since they keep my legs and feet warm. Do I need to explain the argyle wellies???

Photograph 3: Dress shoes. All black, except for the wonderful pink ones on top. Yes, I do have nail polish that matches them.

Photograph 4: Golf cleats worn twice before we had kids--I don't have time to use them now!!!!


Photograph 5: Charlotte took this of her shoes while I was composing this post. She is a blogger-in-training!

These are the shoes that survived the big purge before we moved. I got rid of at least four other pairs while packing.

Ok, I flashed my stash....are you brave enough to flash yours???

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not a stasher. Or a shoe collector. One pair of runners. One pair of winter snow boots. One pair of pretty green boots to wear with a skirt. One pair of flip flops. One pair of sandals. That's it!

Ami said...

Wow, you have a lot of shoes.

I have four pairs. Walking shoes(Athletic shoes from Saucony... great comfort) 'doctor' shoes from a medical supply to wear with nice pants, a pair of rafting sandals that I wear to the river, and a pair of hiking boots.

Oh and slippers.

April said...

My shoes are all pretty ugly. I need new ones. Darn it.

Rina said...

Yay!! You did it!! I SO need more shoes...