Wednesday, August 26, 2009

There is always a silver lining.

I live in a very old house. I am used to sharing my space with a certain amount of creepy crawlies that get in through our unfinished basement. Chances are, if you pick up a laundry basket in my basement a millipede or little beetle will skitter away. Spiders love my floor joists. We tend to live in harmony. They don't bother me, I won't bother them.

I do have a line, though.

This morning I was chatting on the phone with a friend. I heard a strange noise coming from my garbage can. I opened the lid and a mouse looked up at me from his (her?) rotten orange breakfast.

I did the stereotypical thing. I screamed like I was in a horror movie.

I then picked up my entire garbage can and took it outside and left it in the back lane. After that, I looked around for telltale signs and found little mouse poops in my pantry (darn it!).

I promised the kids we would go to playgroup so I put off the clean up until after lunch. When we got home from playgroup I found the lid knocked off my garbage can and hoped against hope it was the neighbour's cats that did it. I also noticed my garbage bag was shredded and there was a perfectly round hole clear through the side of my garbage can!

Since I am a stereotype, that can is not ever going to enter my house again.

What is the bright side?

  • The mouse didn't chew on anything that contained actual food (I think the open bowl of dog kibble was the reason.)
  • The dreaded job of cleaning my pantry before we move is done.
  • I filled a garbage bag with random bits.
  • All of my bulk items are now in Tupperware or jars.
I also found out that for a sporadic tea drinker I have a LOT of tea. Like two four-litre ice cream pails full.

It is really hot outside. Maybe some iced green tea is in order.

I hate meeses to pieces.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We had a mouse this summer. I saw it scurry under the piano. I woke up both DH and the dog. DH thought it was acceptable to trap it in a room and leave it with a trap. Luckily, the dog agreed with me and promptly killed it. The dog earned a hot dog. DH got to bag the mouse.

Carolyn said...

Oh yuck!! I'm screaming on the inside for you!!

April said...

hee hee! goodbye mousey! sorry, but i kind of enjoyed being on the phone when this happened. ;-) when it comes to mice, i am equally girly.