Saturday, February 17, 2007

Another Finished Object.

What's this? Another finished object? Non-knitting readers, you may want to skip the rest and go look at Go Fug Yourself or something. Isn't poor Britney turning into quite the trainwreck?

Are you still with me? There were rumors these would never get finished--they were the knitting I carried around in my purse. If I was waiting somewhere a round or two would be completed. They took a very, very long time. There was panic at the end when I got as far as the toe decreases on the left sock and Charlotte decided she wanted to try it on--she pulled the needles out to do so. I rescued the sock and it is hardly worse for the wear. Thankfully I had a hair appointment a couple of days later so you can no longer see the new grey hairs this moment produced.
These are the very first pair of socks I have ever knit. I am very proud of them and my feet feel so pampered. I am very impressed with how well the stripes match up--there are only a couple of minor variations in the patterning.

The Kitchener Stitch tutorial at Knitting Help is amazing. I didn't have it available when I grafted the first toe and I wish I had. The second one was a piece of cake.
The Details:
Pattern: Jaywalker socks by Grumperina. This pattern has swept the internet by storm--it is so clever and fun to knit up.
Yarn: Regia Crazy Colours in Red--a kind gift brought from Germany by my good friend and knitting partner in crime Poppins.
Needles: 2.25mm metal needles from my late Grandma's collection. I had to combine two sets to get enough needles and they will never be used again--one of the needles got rough at the end as I was finishing the second sock.

If you want to try and find the mistakes I made, just click on the pictures to make them bigger.

3 comments:

Emma said...

I love GFY! Great job on the socks. Very impressive for the first pair!

Anonymous said...

super nice! :)

Anonymous said...

Great Jaywalkers--I love the bright colorway! Very impressive--I think you did an excellent job considering these were your first pair of socks. It took me four pairs of basic socks before I could knit two that were even remotely alike! Great job! =)